College classes are starting in just a couple of weeks which means college packing has already started! This is such an exciting time in your life! It’s the first time you get to not only move out but also plan your own dorm room! I’m sure you’re stressing about what to bring and how you’ll possibly fit everything you own into a tiny room. Let me just say: RELAX. There are Targets and Walmarts all over the country! If you forget something or something you bought isn’t working it will be okay. While that is true it is also super helpful to have as much as you can already bought and organized. Plus dealing with stores during move in weekend usually has crazy lines. I was very meticulous in my packing last year so I thought I’d share my college dorm packing list. Here’s the one I used and once I got to college I wasn’t missing anything! I hope my list serves you well! Good luck during move in! Continue reading
I’ve found my own summer love. It’s called Polo season.
The last few Sundays I have gone to polo matches at a breath-taking vineyard in Virginia. Last week my best friend and I went. We dusted off our sun hats and put on our seersucker. Despite the 94-degree weather it was gorgeous and we had an awesome time having a picnic and watching the match. We got lost on the way there and our food was mostly humus and cokes but it was a great afternoon before she moved to North Carolina.
Check out some of my beach bag essentials for a day in the sun!
1. Sunglasses– Love these rainbow toned glasses and they are great for taking pictures in
2. Sunscreen– I’m obsessed with Coopertone clearly sheer sunscreen. It goes on silky and light so you barely even know it’s on.
3. Waterproof Mascara– Bareminerals Flawless Definition mascara is my favorite and now it is water proof! Perfect for splashing in the waves or sitting in the sun with.
4. Hair Ties– Elastic hair ties are perfect for the beach because they don’t get tangled in your messy beach hair
5. Bikini Bag– This bag is a lifesaver. Throw a wet bikini or towel in it and you don’t have to worry about it leaking on anything else
6. Hydrating Spray-This Evian Hydrating spray is amazing. The sun and salt is harsh on your skin but this hydrating spray makes your face and body hydrated and cool
7. Tumblr– Stay hydrated in the sun with a cute tumblr like this Lilly Pulitzer one.
8. Turkish Towel– I am obsessed with these towels. They are so light and compact which is perfect for tanning
I hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas filled with family, Jesus, carbs, and friends. As we ring in the new year and reflect on the past, I hope it finds you feeling blessed and excited to see what is in store for 2015. Here is my pink candy cane dress that I wore to a family gathering over the holiday. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Dress | Nordstrom
Necklace | J. Crew
Shoes | Seychelles
As a stressful week comes to a close and the energy to have Friday night plans turns into a binge marathon of Friday Night Lights, I always feel exhausted physically and mentally. As easy as it is to pack your weekend with social events and football games it is important to unwind and relax even if it is just for a few minutes. Here are 10 simple and quick things that can help you relax and feel pampered.
- Painting Your Nails: At home or go get a mani/pedi
- Laying On The Floor: Yep that’s right do nothing. Just be there on your floor or bed. No phone, music or distractions. Just being still
- Taking A Hot Shower or Bath: Add some bubbles and a good book
- Drinking Something Warm: Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, whatever warms you up. It helps your muscles relax
- Whitening Teeth: Sometimes just sitting there unable to talk while you pamper yourself is the way to go. It is quick, easy, and leaves you feeling cleaner and more confident
- Face Masks: After a week of make up, oil, and touching your face it is time for a revival. It not only helps your skin but also soothes it and helps you relax and unwind. You can make your own masks (egg whites are my favorite) or you can run to target or Sephora and grab some awesome pre-made masks for as little as $2.00. Most of them only take 10 minuets so grab a mask and get relaxing
- Cleaning The Clutter: I am guilty of this one. When there is clutter around me I can not unwind or focus well until it is cleaned up. A clean and relaxing environment (especially when it is your room) can make all the difference. Even wiping down counter tops or making your bed can help the atmosphere
- Lighting Candles: This creates such a peaceful environment and you can light candles that match the season. (apple and cinnamon would be perfect for the fall)
- Watch Your Favorite Movie: Wrap up in a blanket and watch your favorite movie or tv show
- Getting Outdoors: Weather it is a hike, kayaking or even just sitting on your porch outside
Riding in a little SUV next to my dad with the backseats stacked to the roof with my belongings that I was going to cram into my new dorm, I was terrified. As we drove through 8 states, its safe to say that I was crying or solemn through at least 7 of them. I couldn’t eat much. I just said good-bye to everything that I had ever known. I watched the beautiful mountains of the east coast that I had climbed on and had to watch over me, fade into the dry flat lands of the west. I had traveled and been gone for months at a time but it was never this permanent. I remember thinking how on earth I’d let the last 18 years fly bye and why no one told me that I would have to leave eventually?! Even though I had always known that I’d be leaving home once the big 1-8 rolled around it never felt real. Even last year when I was 17, I never really processed what that meant.
But now I know what it meant. Continue reading
In honor of pumpkin spice season, here are some precious mugs that are sure to make any morning (especially on Mondays) a little less dull. Happy fall ya’ll!
1. Eat Cake Mug
2. Beyonce Mug
3. Hello Sunshine Mug
4. Fancy Pants Mug
It has been 63 days since I was sleeping in a small tent on warm African soil praying that I would never have to leave. Today I am sitting on my bed padded with memory foam instead of a sleeping bag and a box of take out food next to me, instead of a bowl of rice.
I’m just as exhausted as I was during my month in Africa but not the same kind of fatigue. This exhaustion is different. I would wear myself out physically, spiritually, and emotionally everyday and all for the Lord. He would fill me up again so I could pour myself out and then do it all over again the next day with just as much joy. This is what a true Christian walk should look like; fully committed to God and serving Him with everything we have. But now I wear myself out trying to be involved in every college club, keeping up with homework, making friends, and doing it all with a smile on my face. Why is this so much harder for me to do? It’s for the same God and I’m the same girl, but I’ve been trying to do it by myself here in America instead of relying on my Father who gives me strength, rest, and joy. Continue reading